Monday, April 11, 2011

April 10

This Sunday we went to Pastor Jidoh's church, Arise and Shine Christian Church.  Bob and Dr. Jean were able to go with Nikki and I which was a nice surprise.  Of course, all of the people were welcoming and one member volunteered to translate for us.  This is the first church where I have really enjoyed the music.  It was extremely loud (of course) but they played more traditional songs.  My friend Joseph played the drum set and two other men played the traditional drums.  There was a large open area in front of the pulpit where people were able to dance.  The women would file out by age groups and dance together in a circle.  They had so much joy in their faces, it was wonderful to watch.  As I stood watching I thought of how wonderful heaven will be and wondered what kind of music would be sung.  How amazing to think of every ethnic group all gathered worshiping God.  I have never stopped to think how God is worshipped all across the world...just amazing.

Tonight we said goodbye to Joseph.  It is time for him to return to nursing school in Damongo.  We exchanged email addresses and will keep in touch through facebook.  Now I'm a really reserved person and I don't wear my feelings on my sleeve...sometimes people think I'm just too reserved.  I made it through saying goodbye without becoming teary eyed, but I woke up at 3:30 am thinking about Joseph.  Before he said goodbye last night he asked Nikki when she thought the three of us would all be together again.  Nikki's response was "probably in heaven".  I saw tears come to Jo's eyes and I had to look away or else I would have started to cry also.  I lay in bed thinking about what Nikki had said.  The odds are that I will never see Jo again on this earth.  Our lives are in two separate worlds and we'll both get involved in our careers and families and will never cross paths again.  It is really difficult to say goodbye to a person when you know the odds of seeing them again are almost non-existent.  But at least we have the assurance that we will see each other again in heaven...maybe his mansion will be next to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment